Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Our Miracle Baby Boy

Posted by KB

Todd and I are expecting! And yes, it is a miracle. I truly believe this is an answered prayer for all the people who have prayed for us. So thank you for your continued thoughts and prayers. God is so good. I am 13 weeks, just entering the second trimester, and here is the latest ultrasound. The baby was laying face down so the tech couldn’t get a good profile shot. His head is to the right with his legs tucked up under on the left. You can see his spine along his back. I have a picture clearing showing he is in fact a boy but Todd (of all people) thought it was inappropriate to share. Too funny.

For those that want more details. . .here is “the story”. After years of fertility treatments, we felt we had reached the end. . .but we still had so much love to give. So in September of last year, we decided to adopt. We discovered a great agency, with two of the best social workers around, ran by the Idaho Youth Ranch. Anyone who has adopted knows it is a long, laborious, humbling process – but we were up for the task. We attended classes, sat though interviews, got fingerprinted, background checks, filled out stacks of paper work, read countless articles, completed a home study, got physicals, and assembled a profile package for a potential birth mother to chose from. At the end of all that, Kitty and Lauri (the social workers) knew more about us than most of our family did! And then the waiting begins. It could be two months, it could be a year, no one really knows.

We kept our minds occupied with training for the marathon and the beginning of October we went to Portland. It was such a great trip -- very healing and rewarding for us. I got pregnant a month later. Reluctant to take a pregnancy test (of which the outcome has never been good), I was sick with a sinus infection and was looking for some relief by way of Benadryl for sleep. I was late and in the off chance I was pregnant, I didn’t want to take any risks with medication so I found myself peeing on a stick. (Todd was in the other room pretending the whole scene wasn’t happening.) The stick turned immediately – the three minute wait was not needed. I called Todd in the bathroom and he came running in, took one look at the stick, turned white as a ghost and sat down on the floor. I thought he was going to pass out. After a brief second, he grabbed the box and looked back and forth from the stick to the box to see if we were reading it correctly. Of course, I just sat there and cried.

It was two months before our feet touched the ground. Thanks to Dr. Ivette Suber, (Todd’s OB friend from work) for our early OB care, and our great friend Dr. Eve White (the OB we started our infertility plight with in Indy so long ago) for the endless phone calls, advice, love and support – we wouldn’t have gotten here without you.

I have been really sick -- unlike Kloe in every way. I have had headaches and nausea all day for the last three months. I am starting to feel better, slowly, and I tell Todd to hold on for when I do -- I'm going to be dangerous. For that reason and Murphy's law (we have a whole closet full of pink) I have been thinking boy from the beginning. Before we found out the sex, Todd and I both secretly wanted another little girl, but now that we know, we are extremely excited for a boy. Immediately after the ultrasound, Todd said, "I think God is giving us exactly what we need." and Eve said "Of course it's a boy, there's no way you could have had another girl as cute as Kloe!" I think they are both so right.

9 comments:

The Calabrese's said...

Oh My Goodness!!!! Congratulations on finding out it's a BOY! When you told me you were more sick I kind of thought it might be a boy as I was more sick with Brady. What a wonderful miracle God has blessed you both with. I can't wait to hear updates and see pictures throughout the pregnancy. And Angel Kloe is going to be a big sister, how proud she must be looking down! We are so happy for you both. Love to you all!

The Larsons said...

Crying as I read this. I can't imagine the emotions you guys have felt the last little while! I am so incredibly excited for you, and I'm SURE God is giving you a child perfect for you. And so fun to think he's probably met Kloe in heaven too. So sorry you've had to endure the pregnancy nausea. NO FUN! So worth it though. Can't wait to meet him! What a miracle indeed.

Kristen said...

Congratulations, Todd and Karen!! Oh my goodness, I have chillls right now!! What an answer to prayer. We can't wait to hear all about this pregnancy and see lots of pictures! Hope you start feeling better soon, and then let the shopping begin!! We are SO, SO excited for your growing family!!!

Taige said...

We are so excited for both of you!This baby is such a miracle-he has no idea how much love he is going to have:)I am glad he was in God's plan-we just had to wait, and wait, and wait a little longer.I am so glad all of our prayers have been answered.Now get him here safe and sound.Take it extra easy Karen, you better get busy Todd!!! We love and miss all of you.

Melissa said...

Wow! Congratulations! We are SO excited for you all. Even though you don't feel well, I'm sure you're relishing every second. Can't wait to hear all about it!

Kaitlin Shetler said...

I don't know why the song "Bless Your Beautiful Hide" from Seven Brides for Seven Brothers popped into my head as I was reading this (while bawling my eyes out by the way) but it did. So bless your beautiful hides!

Seriously, you are two special people and I know God's got some AWESOME plans for you two.

I get all tingly thinking about it.

Unknown said...

Congratulations!!!! Of course we already heard from people still at SAFB! Chills and crying reading your blog surfaced immediately! We are soooooo happy for you three!!! Everyone's prayers for you guys have been answered!!! Jesse will be calling Todd soon! Take care!!!

Anonymous said...

Karen & Todd--

WOW--that's a fabulous story! I guess I can stop forwarding you the adoptions stuff. No wonder I didn't hear from you.

God always has a bigger plan in mind than we can imagine. I'm so glad He surprised you with this.

All the best,
Carolyn Casey

ellie24 said...

COngratulations! I'm sure both excited. All the waiting and patience really paid off. Now's probably the best time to look for home remedies to stop morning sickness. It's always a good idea to be prepared.